Adult Basic Education InformationView Course Requirements
Contact a Pensacola State College Advisor or this program's Department Head for assistance in planning your program of study.
Documents & Links
by the Department of Economic Opportunity
Search For Another Program
Introduction to the Adult Basic Education Program
The Adult Education Department offers classes for any adult who wants to improve his or her basic academic skills, prepare for the GED Examinations, or learn English. The program offers the following:
- Non-credit classes for adults who are at least 18 years of age; individuals who are 16 or 17 years old may be admitted with a letter of permission or an age waiver from the school district in the county in which they reside.
- Convenient class locations throughout the community and on all Pensacola State College campuses.
- Open entry classes: enroll at almost any time.
- Morning, afternoon, and evening classes.
Tuition – Florida law requires all students (Florida Residents, Alabama Residents and all other out-of state students) to pay $30 per semester.
The Adult Education Department provides several options for students:
- Adult Basic Education classes are provided for adults whose academic skills are below ninth grade level. The program covers basic reading, math, and language skills. Pre-GED review, family literacy, workforce readiness, and life coping skills may also be addressed.
- General Education Development (GED) classes are offered for students who do not have a high school diploma and whose academic skills are at or above ninth grade level. Classes prepare students for all areas of the GED Examinations.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes are available for non-native speakers of English who wish to improve their English language skills. Everyday survival skills and a basic knowledge of the English language are covered.
- Adult Education for Adults with Disabilities classes are provided for clients at Pollack Training Center and at Capstone Adaptive Learning & Therapy Centers, Inc. (formerly known as United Cerebral Palsy of Northwest Florida). For information about Pollack Training Center, please call (850) 438-5577. For information about Capstone Adaptive Learning & Therapy Centers, Inc. (UCP of NWFL), please call (850) 432-1596.
The GED Examinations are offered at the Test Center on the Pensacola campus. For information about test registration and fees, call the Test Center at (850) 484-1656 or visit GED.com.